Thursday, August 20, 2009

Customers and suppliers a love/hate relationship

My friend Nissan Ratzlav-Katz starting blogging about customer service in Israel and how tolerant many of us have become to sub-standard and even really crappy customer service.

One of the key Israeli Linux IL community objections to Google is that they don't give customer service - although I would argue that great products delivered that work on a global scale for free definitely qualify as great customer service.

How do startups make customer service scale into awesomeness? touches on many good points including a I Love/I Hate Ratio (Virgin Atlantic scores at the bottom - Microsoft is about even and Amazon, Google score at around 8 - meaning that 8x as many people love Google as hate them. Which is pretty impressive I thought.

Still - one thing we miss is the synergy between love/hate and suppliers and customers. If you give great service, customers will love you and if you're a great customer and pay on time - suppliers will love you.

The only counter-example I know is Israeli corporate customers that will pay the best supplier in the world Net 180 days and take a 20% discount just because they felt like it.

Bottom line - Israel may be a country with a poor service ethic but it's a country with a poor payment on time ethic.

In my book - it's not an accident.

No comments: